Re: Rules of thumb in breeding

  • Subject: Re: Rules of thumb in breeding
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 15:15:35 -0500

Dear Rich, and list,

RE:>>What about a yellow/gold center?   Do the seedlings die back as well if there is no chlorophyl present?

I don't know, so that is why I'm asking you!  :-)   I can't address this chlorophyll to carotenoid ratio question, as it relates to seedling survivability.   Is there a botanist in the house?

Seems like the yellow/gold center ones do abort more frequently than single-colored seedlings, but certainly not as quickly as the whites.   If the yellow/gold center parent has a green edge, I imagine the plant would be stronger than with a white edge parent.  Unfortuantely, I haven't gathered empirical evidence to back this up.  A few of my crosses with Platinum Tiara as pollen parent appear to have taken, and some with Electrum Stater as pod parent, but I don't have enough data to speak with authority to your question of survivability of seedlings that show these color patterns.

Andrew L.

Get your own family web site at www.MyFamily.com!