Re: Rules of thumb in breeding

  • Subject: Re: Rules of thumb in breeding
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 18:04:47 -0400

Hi Andrew,
         I've added a few things to your list. Hope you don't mind.
                                          .......Bill Meyer

1. Green hostas will usually produce green offspring,
A few variegated or gold seedlings often occur, maybe 1 in 100(differs from
one plant to the next). If the parent had sieboldiana in it's background
some blue seedlings are also likely.

2. Blue hostas will produce some blue, some green, and some gold offspring.
The gold offspring may be lutescent or viridescent. Still the chance of an
odd variegated one.

3. Gold hostas will produce some blue, some green, and some gold offspring.
Lutescent golds will. Viridescent golds, unless there is sieboldiana in
their background will not produce blues.

4. Edged variegated hostas will NOT produce variegated offspring.
Other than the above 1 in 100 rarity.

5. Only hostas that have white streaks (streaky) in the center of the leaf
will produce variegated offspring.
They are the only reliable producers. They sometimes occur as the 1-100
oddity. Hostas with speckled centers seem to regularly produce speckled
seedlings.

6. White centered hostas will produce all white hostas which usually die in
the seed pots due to a lack of chlorophyll.
Often these will also produce green seedlings as well if the plant is
fertile. Some white-centered plants give odd seedlings.

The above always refers to the color in the center of the leaf. The edge
color is irrelevant, as the ovaries and eggs are formed of the L2 tissue
which comprises the center of the leaf.

> Opener's,
>
> I ran across these "Rules of Thumb" in a letter I wrote a while back.   I
was providing a grower with what his expectations might be from starting
seed.

> I wonder what percentage of truth there are to these statements.  Don't
know where I got this info, but probably one of Kevin Vaughns articles in
the Hosta Bulletins, amongst other places, including some little bit of
experience.

> Green hostas will usually produce green offspring,
> Blue hostas will produce some blue, some green, and some gold offspring.
> Gold hostas will produce some blue, some green, and some gold offspring.
> Edged variegated hostas will NOT produce variegated offspring.
> Only hostas that have white streaks (streaky) in the center of the leaf
will produce variegated offspring.
> White centered hostas will produce all white hostas which usually die in
the seed pots due to a lack of chlorophyll.

> Seems likely that white centered plants are coming more from TC labs,
naturally occuring sports, and some mutations.
> Just a reality check ... These are "rules of thumb" not to be confused
with valid, reliable research, though such would be good to see, though I am
unable to provide any at this time.