Re: Moving large hosta

  • Subject: Re: Moving large hosta
  • From: "Bill Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:17:44 -0400

PHIL LITTLE and etcetera --
Re: MOVING LARGE HOSTAS..  IN ONE PIECE: <*IMHO* = in my honest opinion?>
1).. cutting the leaves off before digging and moving; at any time during
the growing cycle: results in immediate growth/maturing of leaf-buds; and
this, results, in the next growth cycle of it's new eye-plants, therefore,
this is highly recommended... yes?
2).. if a very huge hosta, like for example, a two foot wide/diameter
rhizome (by it's size?), or larger,  is worth moving?.. then I would
suggest, that splitting that root system into one quarter it's size (halfing
the over-sized clump twice re: propagation principles?).  This would, no
doubt, make that moving job much easier to get done; and possibly, without
anyone getting hurt, ie. tearing their back, or whatever?  Also, having more
than one plant of a given rare-hosta-type, may provide for future
selling/trading; and this is to say, if the hosta in question has any
demand/value at all, by it's characteristics?
3).. if pots are buried in the ground for over-wintering; and or, are given
a nice six-inch covering of shredded-leaf-mulch for the winter; and also,
are not sitting in a pond-like puddle of water (i.e. roots not sitting in
solid ice through out the winter?).  And if -- there are no critters, which
need to surivive the zone-4  winter by eating the hosta roots in your pots,
then re-growth the following springtime: should be one hundred percent
successful.  This is based on the Zone 3 winter-hardiness-factors related to
Echinacea, Dicentra; and of course, ALL ZONE THREE HARDY PLANT-GENUS --
hostas included? (while yours is a Zone 4 climate)

HOPING: this helps, and you have, much fun moving?

 raffi@sympatico.ca (Bill Nash Guelph Ontario Canada Zone 3)