First Look 5

  • Subject: First Look 5
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:16:14 -0400

Dear Hosta Brethren:

I  returned from First Look 5 this last Sunday. If you have not attended a
"First Look" event then you are missing a treat. This one took place in
Burlington, Vermont and was hosted by Region I  with appropriate
encouragement by the AHS. Roy Dales, with the usual superior work of Carol
Brashear and Bill Meyer, helped to make it a success......... with all  the
necessary logistics, planning, grunt work, tedious details, and
improvisations. All such events come with hundreds of last minute changes,
small tragedies, and unexpected appearances of Bigfoot (Ran Lydell this
year), Charlie Seaver in tights, and Mark Zilis looking like he is 18 years

There were 60 some people who registered and another 10 or so walk-ins. The
plants that were competing were the best I have ever seen. The judges went
overtime and small civil wars emerged in attempting to  judge  which of the
superior plants were more superior than the others. THERE WAS NEW STUFF AND

I reread these two paragraphs and it sounds like a bad commercial. But
please understand I am sincere. To show my sincerity I will give you my
complaints. We stayed in a Sheraton  Hotel, which was great, but my room
was over the border in Canada, so every time I made my way to the
conference center in the hotel (a 4.8 mile walk) , I had to cross the
Canadian border  and was strip-searched  in the belief that I was
terrorist smuggling a new breed of Funkia Cannabis Omnivorous(which looks
remarkably like our beloved hostas). While I am complaining, only to
establish my credentials as an honest critic you understand, I should
mention the fact that asking for small sections of the hostas on display
was greeted with derision. What happened to the friendship plant? And there
was a convention of teenage girls(  softball/basketball (?) team )  who
were determined to have a good time despite chaperones who were always
huddled in small groups trying to learn how to use stun guns. I might also
add that the swimming pool was always filled with these teenage girls who
had packed their  bathing suits  in ping pong balls.

 My favorite hostas in the show  (and there were 12 in total) belonged to
Amy Bergeron, Kurt Terpening, Andrew Williams, Charlie Seaver, Ran Lydell,
Bill Meyer, John O'Brien, and one person who remain anonymous until I have
paid them a visit. :-).

And Mark Zilis made a great presence on the judging panel and gave a great
speech. Next year First Look 6 will preface and overlap with the National
Hosta Convention.

 " East Dorset, Vermont,  Patricia W. Read of East Dorset, slipped down the
rabbit hole June 18 th after a short illness....." .Taken from the Rutland
Herald June 21 2005 Obituary section.

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont