Re: FIREFLYS & SLUGS

At 09:50 PM 6/30/98 EDT, you wrote:

>THANKS CARRIE......ITS GREAT TO SEE THAT SOMETHING THAT BRINGS SUCH
>JOY.....THE FIREFLY....ACTUALLY EATS SLUGS....
>
>GOD I LOVE THE FIREFLY....KEN

Ken;

Have you ever seen fireflies synchronize? I understand it's not all that
common, but I've seen it twice in my lifetime.

Our back property line borders city-owned greenbelt, badly overrun with
kudzu (a constant battle keeping it out of the yard). There are several
huge tulip poplars growing down there that I try and keep the kudzu out of,
but it's like holding back the tide. Some years it gets ahead of me and
about five years ago, had reached the tops of the trees and formed a living
curtain of green vines. One August night, about 10 pm, I was out in the
yard and noticed a remarkable sight..The kudzu curtain was covered with a
gazillion fireflies, and they were flashing in synchrony..The flashes would
start at the top, then cascade down the kudzu curtain, like a waterfall of
light. It was remarkable, and somehow all the more magic because I was the
only one seeing it.

It didn't repeat, not the next night, nor the next, nor the next, nor in
any of the years since.

Gerry >