Re: Tell-Tale TC

Barbara,
If a sport is not removed there is a possibility that it may not be
expressed the second year. If a sport is not as vigorous as the mother plant
it sported from it may be outgrown and smothered out. It might also remain
latent the next season and not be expressed at all(still  in the
rhizome(crown) but  without a leaf). This would make it very hard to find.
It may never be seen again.

Some people will then grow this sport until it has six or eight leaves.
Sometimes each leaf will have its own individual pattern. I have seen Alex
Summers cut such a plant into as many  individual leaf bud cuttings as he
can in the fall. Each leaf becomes an individual plant. Then the plants are
grown and watched.

Sometimes the sport is more vigorous than the mother plant. The hosta 'Spilt
Milk' sometimes will throw a green sport that is called H. 'Green Milk' that
has more vigor than its mother plant. My guess is that  'Green Milk' grows
about three times as fast as 'Spilt Milk. It will dominate the clump in a
few years.

There are many examples of this happening in hosta.

Corrections and additions are welcome.

Ran Nelson
Bridgeville DE
zone 7