How to count veins

Since I am new to this hosta disease, having been bitten by the bug just this
spring I have only about 40 varieties so far.  However, I have already found
that sometimes plants are not what they are advertised as. (Great deduction,
eh Sherlock?)  The book "The Genus Hosta" gives the number of veins in each
description, however, more often than not, the number of veins I count in a
'known' plant still does not match up with the number given in the book.

Soooo, my question is - "How do you count the veins?"

Thanks - Ronnie