Colored Plastic Mulch Cover

   As usual I seem to be behind in garden advancements.  My niece is using
a plastic orange mulch under her tomatoes this year. The idea being that it
will reflect a different part of the color spectrum and enhance growth. She
said that there were other colors for other veggies. She says that it is
doing wonders for her tomato plants. Those with it are developing 1/3
faster.  Any experience out there? Has this theory been applied to hosta
seedlings/TC plants?
Glen Williams