Re: Foliar nematodes

From: Denise Nakon
Subject: Re: Foliar nematodes>

>What does the damage look like?
>
>Denise
>Michigan
Denise,
Foliar Nematode damage appears as a darkening between veins on the hosta
leaf. The darkening is caused by a secondary fungus infection and not the
nematodes. Foliar nematode damage usually does not appear until later in the
season. In the northern U.S. it may not show up until September. In my area,
zone 7, it shows up about now. Their damage is over looked by many gardeners
but is a major concern(hopefully) for nursery owners.

Foliar nematodes are often spread by being splashed by rain and irrigation
water. They may also spread slowly in the ground. You could spread them by
walking through a wet hosta garden if you came in contact with infected
plants.

There are other plants which also have foliar nematodes. The most likely
source of a foliar nematode infection is bringing in infected plants.

There are no chemical controls available for the home gardener. I have heard
that there are restricted use chemicals that may work. The only control I
know of is to discard the infected plants. Don't do this just on my say so.
Check deeper for yourself.

I have heard that most large hosta collections have some foliar nematodes. I
have seen some of them myself.

Additions, corrections and comments are welcome.

Dan Nelson
zone 7

PS. If you think Ronnie uses bad language, try saying "foliar nematodes" in
someone's hosta patch.