A friend of mine called today and said she had a sport growing on 'Zounds' and
asked if I wanted it. She had gotten the plant bare root this spring and
potted it until she was ready to plant it.  When I brought the pot home and
got all the soil off the plant, I could see this "sport" was like a separate
small Hosta sitting on top of the crown of 'Zounds' with its roots intertwined
and just growing through the other plant. I was able to just gently pull it
out without any tearing or cutting.
This can't be a sport of this plant, can it? I thought a sport came from a bud
on the original plant. Can it just be an error from the grower in sending an
extra plant or what?