Southern blight in Delaware AGAIN, cocktail time!

  • To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
  • Subject: Southern blight in Delaware AGAIN, cocktail time!
  • From: "Daniel Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 12:43:05 -0400

  ----- Original Message -----
From: <LakesideRM@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Southern blight in the north AGAIN

I have used several different fungicides.  Roy keeps different one on
hand
for the fruit trees so if I need one I just yell at him to mix one for
me.
Mary

I have maybe 20 hostas showing signs of southern blight. On some only a
few leaves have laid flat on the ground. One four division H. 'Hirao
Majesty' has lost all thirty of it's leaves leaving only the three ready
to open bloom scapes standing tall and healthy looking.

I have 12 t.c. liners of H. 'Sagae' that are in their second year and
one of them has lost all of it's leaves to southern blight.

Last year I had approximately 15 hostas loose all of their leaves to
southern blight. All 15 were treated with a Terraclor drench and they
all look fine this year, so far. In my micro-environment if a hosta
looses all of it's leaves one year, the following year there is a 1/3
reduction in size.

Sunday about 2 hours before dark I served my hostas the following
cocktail:

200 gallons well water

5 lbs. MircleGrow

I lb. Epsom Salt

2 lb. Benlate SP

Applied until heavy leaf run off and light drenching of soil around
crown giving special attention to hostas showing signs of disease.

Fungicides are best used as a preventative. I waited this year until I
started to see some southern blight damage before treating all of our
hostas.

Benlate with a Turf and Ornamental label is hard to find. Benlate was
taken off of the T and O market because of lawsuits arising from a
factory mix-up that resulted in herbicide contaminated Benlate. Benlate
is still in use in commercial agriculture. It's a shame it lost it's T
and O label.

Your local garden center has fungicides that will control  Sclerotium
rolfsii(southern blight)  AKA southern stem/root rot, or white mold.
Other plants affected are tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, peanuts, lawns
and beans.

Southern blight is easily spread around the garden by the moving of
infected plant leaves and crowns. The fruiting bodies (sclerotia) look
like small granules of fertilizer where the hosta leaf stem contacts the
ground. Leaves may still look fairly good but will detach when pulled
lightly. Have a container handy to collect diseased leaves or you will
become your own worst enemy.

I spent several hours on the web last year looking into southern blight.
The most informative sites were the local USDA extension offices and
centered on commercial agriculture.

An interesting note: I read that sclerotium rolfsii spores will
germanate after 3 days at 95F and first rainfall or irrigation. This is
now in my area.

I would like to hear from people who have successfully controlled
southern blight in their hosta garden.

Dan Nelson
Bridgeville DE.
Zone 7 and 100 degrees F. today.