Re:Hosta Budget

Diane, I use Microsoft Access. I keep track of over 2000 hostas. I have all kinds of information on the hostas including three fields, "Want", "Own", "Investigate". I list three nurseries (if available) that carry the hosta, and if a nursery comes up that has it for less, I replace one of the existing three. I then run queries on the hostas I have marked "want" and sort the info by Nursery. That's how I place my orders when I'm ready. I also keep track of nurseries that I've ordered from and if they provide a good product, I'll pay the extra dollar or two and order from them again. I also group orders so that I can save on shipping. A hosta that is a few dollars cheaper at nursery X may not be cheaper when adding shipping if I'm already ordering from nursery Y.

When someone raves about a hosta here, I'll mark it investigate, then try to find information about it, and see a picture. If I like it, I change investigate to want, if not, I'll note why I didn't like it and remove the investigate. My "want" list for next year has about 125 hostas listed, not that I'll get them all, but it helps with my so called budget. (ha, that's a joke)

One of the things I've started looking at is who introduced the hostas I like. By far it's Aden, with Mary running a very close second. It's pretty interesting to see who is doing what, and who is introducing "my kinda hosta". I'm still collecting the data, like I haven't finished investigating the ones I own to see who's hostas I have the most of.

These are great winter projects, but when it's growing season, between working to pay for my habit, taking care of household, two kids, a dog and two cats, and a mother, and keeping track of the garden, I have little time. What time I have left over is supposed to be my social life, which of course is a joke, because I have none. LOL!

Lu (Atlanta/Zone 7B)