On guard, still collecting data on hosta theft. Informers names protected.

Butch wrote:

" The percentage of thieves in the hosta society I believe is less than
the general population so why use this forum to make people uneasy."

My intent is to make hosta thieves feel uneasy. What I have started may
be the first effort to keep track of missing hostas. I know this is a
negative subject, but it is an important one. No one wants to believe
that someone in a hosta tour would come back and steal hostas, sadly,
the facts are otherwise.

At one of the tour gardens in Ann Arbor 10 or 12 hostas were in pots in
the garage, they were kept out of the view of convention attendees.
Attendees are being deprived of viewing rare and expensive hostas
because of the realities of hosta theft.

Pete Ruh gave four of us a personal tour of his large hosta garden. Pete
has a beautiful place. We came to a place where instead of hosta, there
were holes in the ground. Pete explained what had happened and what
hostas were missing. Pete also explained about the fences, no
trespassing signs and ropes and chains he was now using to keep
non-chaperoned visitors from his garden.

Butch, perhaps you should tell Pete to chill out and not feel uneasy.

Tell Bob Kuk and Herb Benedict too. They also feel uneasy about holes in
the ground where hostas use to grow.

I plan on using the internet and continuing to collect data on missing
hostas.  Patterns are starting to emerge. I may in the future have a
bulletin board of missing hostas.

I have received a report from one person that lost $10,000. worth of
hostas over this past winter to theft. Some of these hostas aren't even
in the trade yet. Anyone selling them would be suspect. Getting this
information out will no doubt put pressure on the thieves. This is my

Help me to put heat to the feet of the hosta thief.

E-mail me privately @

Dan Nelson