Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #465

  • To: hosta-open@mallorn.com
  • Subject: Re: hosta-open DIGEST V1 #465
  • From: Tim Chavez <timchavez@fn.net>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 23:05:25 -0500

I have another remedy that's worth a try. Mix up a solution of about a teaspoon to a tablespoon of boric acid powder in a gallon of warm water (The stuff you
buy to get rid of roaches). Stir until dissolved. Pour this on the ground around plants affected by southern blight. Water in lightly. A thimble of baby shampoo
will help it soak the soil better.
I really don't know if this will help, but I try it whenever I run into a problem that is fungal in origen. I have cured a chinese elm of its beetles, and
stopped other blights in their tracks with it.  It doesn't work on Rose black spot. You have nothing to lose since this concoction has never killed a plant that
I know of. I guess there will be one out there that won't like it. But if you are losing Hostas and lilies to SB, give it a shot since you have nothing to lose.

I am ridding a tree stump of termites with this technique also, as the fungus in the termite gut that does the actual digestion of the wood cellulose is killed
by even traces of boric oxides.
Wear gloves and such as the toxicity of this stuff is unknown. Since it is in so many houses as roach powder, I feel safe recommending dilute solutions for your
garden. Consider trying it in pots (in tubs) if you have a cesspool under your garden or if you pump drinking water from anywhere nearby. Let me know how it
Tim Chavez
Wichita, Kansas.

Will I get rich from all the folks I help if it works?
No, and I won't get sued if your plant dies quicker either. Savvy?
Send me a buck for every plant I help, Bill me a buck for the first one I killed.
I don't have any SB to practice on or I would.