attachment = educational?

  • To: (Recipient list suppressed)
  • Subject: attachment = educational?
  • From: WiN <raffi@sympatico.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 12:35:29 -0400

please note ...this email is going out to multi lists ...please excuse, ignore & delete duplication on addressees ..where present -- thanks?
*Educational 101*
                          As stated earlier "One is further ahead dividing mature streaked clumps; since this does provide for greater variation & variegation"?  I showed you a William Lachman (streaky form) moving into center-leaf-variegation, in previous digital image "william lachman99.jpg" and which, was attached to that email.
                          Generally speaking; and to whit, the William Lachman striated form, usually starts fading out, by it's streaky nature.  Its streak, starts getting paler & paler, as year's progress; and many eye's revert to all green leaves.  By constant division, going down to single eyes, on a yearly basis, a very strong striated-nature becomes present & seen, in some divisions.   To illustrate this very streaky presence, I have attached another digital "william lachman99_2.jpg".  The plant in this image, has subsequently sent up it's flower scape; and this, is one of the most striped flower stems I've ever seen.
                          BTW ...nobody took me seriously to debate (and I'm glad to see nobody does take me serious? :)) "HYPOTHESIS"  -->>   "Division of mature streaky clumps, tends to improve the lot?" so I gather this statement is true LOL ..but notwithstanding, it is somewhat of a heart-ache to have to trash so many all-green stablized eyes.
                          On another topic, John Lanier wrote that he has done Breeder's Choice and Marbled Cream in tisssue culture, a great many culls resulted and very nice marginated types resulted from both.  From this, I have assumed that no center-leaf variegates resulted? ..while I had believed, that all types as outlined by wheel-Committee' -- would appear; when & if, a striated form was placed into tissue culture, but I guess this is not to be?  John Lanier "U have just saved me a pile of money?" because I was contemplating to put a streaky into a tc lab and pay the propagate'a'piper for all time taken to propagate same.  My interest is geared to MEDIOS -- so thanks John, for saving me those hundreds of experimental dollars <vbg>
                             While on AHS Convention Garden Tour, I took a real close look at Ed Elslager's Breeder's Choice seedlings; he had lots of them; and I see by my notes "no potential for center-leaf variegation = scrap that project"; and of course, this is a personal note made to myself i.e. I'd not want to sway anyone else from their breeding objectives :-)))
                            Bob Axmear, wrote something to the effect, that hostas other than streaky leaf, tend to show streaky scapes, so why don't they produce striated offspring?  Fact of the matter is Bob, if one grows enough seedlings of a given variety, all of the Benedict Cross stable types will result.  As an example, just for fun, a very large greenhouse connoisseur nearby, grew 50 plastic film cartridges full of H. sieboldiana 'Elegans' (that's roughly 75,000 seeds?); and this, was done in a greenhouse, using perfect germinating conditions.  Would you believe? ..nine striated offspring resulted!

host ally yours

email: "William Nash" <raffi@sympatico.ca>
Personal Website URL = http://www3.sympatico.ca/raffi/
Group List Server = http://www.onelist.com/subscribe/nise