Re: Choose a streaky

Thanks Tom.

Your check will be mailed shortly.

Tom Moore wrote:

 Which hosta I chose would depend a lot on what I wanted to do with it. We don't grow Marbled Cream so I can't talk about that plant. Flamboyant is very unstable, it keeps wanting to revert to Shade Fanfare. We haven't gotten any decent seedlings from it that I recall so I wouldn't go for it. Sea Prize has put out some nice seedlings for a lot of people, so if that is what you are after it could be a good choice. It may just be our plant, but it grows very slowly for us. My personal favorite of the four is William Lachman. It throws some nice seedlings, grows very well, is reasonably stable for a streaked plant, and the appearance of the plant is pleasing to my personal taste just to look at in the garden. Having said all that, if I just wanted a streaked plant to try to get some interesting seedlings I would go directly to Chick and buy his streaked seedling special. We are getting amazing results from the ones we bought a couple of years ago. One of those plants in particular was far and away the best pod parent we had last year, better than the ones above and all the other expensive breeder hostas we grow. If the results are the same this year as they were last year, we will be selling all those expensive named breeders and just using the ones from Bridgewood and our own streaked stuff. I may keep a few of the named breeders around that I think are pretty plants, but it will be because of their ornamental, rather than breeding, value.Tom Moore Bardstown, KY Z6