Re: help! earwigs!!

Judy McCann wrote:
> I have suddenly been infested with earwigs.  What kind of damage can I
> expect on my hosta?  What can I do???  I know this is not an "interesting"
> subject, but if anyone that has had this problem could email me personally,
> I would greatly appreciate it.
> jmccann@tez.net
> Judy in VA

  I used to get earwigs at my old house every year. They love to live in
cool mulch, in damp moist spots (wonderful for hostas).
  They are mainly predatory - however, if there's alot of them, they
will eat flowers and leaves of plants. They seem to especially love
dahlias and coreopsis. I never had them eat my hostas. They are
otherwise harmless, and I only got "pinched" once. No poison, just a
little pinch.
  I used diatomaceous earth to control them - but it won't completely
wipe them out.

Diane Frederick
Cleveland, OH