Re: [Fwd: Needs to be read.......]

sunkat@excite.com wrote:

> Gee I thought it was to help keep the right to shoot voles from eating my
> hosta?  Or shooting the groundhogs that eat the leafs.  But they can't deny
> me the right to have an Uzi that I can automate so I can nail more of the
> vermin that go after my hosta.... I think maybe I'll get Charlie to find me
> a nice quiet place in England.  How long do you think we'll need to have the
> plants in quarintine?

Well, that's a thought (shooting the varmints, I mean). Get a potato
gun--they're fun and your kids can't take them to school and shoot people
(well, I suppose they could, but if caught the school cafeteria might make them
eat the spuds in some disgusting casserole called "Cook's Choice").

As for England, there one can own guns for hunting only, and these must be
turned into the local police depot when hunting season ends. I have lived
there, so I know; murders by gun are very rare indeed. I don't know, however,
what the plant quarantine is--but the Brits do love their hostas, so it might
be easier to get new ones once you emigrate from the US (you could donate your
American collection to list members!). We once considered a move back, but
there was a 6 mos. pet quarantine at that time and we were sure that both
ourselves and our 4 dogs would die of heartbreak. This quarantine was due to
the Brits' fear of rabies (they have not had a case since the 1930s and they
want to keep it that way). Fortunately, this outdated quarantine was lifted
this year. If your pets are vetted and up to date on their vaccines, they can
become British just as fast as you can. You have to have a microchip implated
under their skin so that papers cannot be falsified, but it's worth it. You can
take your dogs to the pubs if they behave. And then on the topic of varmints,
in England people have these great contraptions to discourage moles (but they
make a lot of noise), and to discourage birds of prey and other varmints they
have "canons" set up in the fields and yards that blast of a gun-like noise at
regular intervals. My Dad had a great method of doing away with moles--he'd
watch them start to tunnel, then he'd get ahead of them in the grass and drive
a pitchfork  with great gusto into the ground and the mole.

Gee, where was I ? Oh, yeah, hostas . . .

Kris G.