Re: Catching Rabbits in Live traps

  • Subject: Re: Catching Rabbits in Live traps
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 14:32:03 EDT

Andrew, great reading. I had a great uncle who taught me to hunt rabbits in southeastern Ontario.

He had a knack for patience - us boys would scare up the rabbbits in a field, chase them for a while, then come back and sit where Uncle Walt could see us. He would wait about 20-30 minutes and the rabbits would come back to see where their two legged beagles had gone. Then he would let them have it - 20 gauge.

Also, one year in late spring we were weeding our hosta beds when my wife Lois was spooked by a large wabbit. She kept working and discovered about 6 of the baby varmints in a hole. Our little sons ( at the time)  put the squeelers in a cardboard box to play with. Then she found another nest and another, so at bed time we had about 15 of the monsters to deal with. Using an old trick I learned in the war, I left them in the box outside for the owls and hawks to feed on. Sure enough, most were gone in the morning. Or could have been the fox too. The rest were dead as expected from lack of cover.

We have two caged pet rabbits Licorice and Spicer, which the boys raised in school. 8-9 years old, spoiled rotten, easily petted lap rabbits, they actually walk the yard on a leash. When we shoot the wild rabbits or trap them, our pets are very obedient for a while. I started a saying a couple of years ago, to the tune of Elmer Fudd "Be vvvvery quiet, I'm hunting wabbbbitts"

"Be very quiet, I'm planting hostas"

You have got to be crazy to enjoy dirty work.

bruce