Re: new hosta at Walmart

  • Subject: Re: new hosta at Walmart
  • From: "Ransom Lydell" <ranbl@netsync.net>
  • Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 07:54:08 -0400

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, June 01, 2001 12:59 PM
It is pretty much true, that every hosta sold by W Mart, is one less thet can be sold by a ligetimate nursery.  When contacted by them,  To provide some local storesI told them NO !  The new hostas that everyone loves to see, will simply stop being researched and introduced  for lack of intrest and funding, if Wal Mart makes too many inroads into the market.  The good news (here) is, they carry about five of the old varieties.  One of those is mislabled!

IMO, Walmart is no friend to the Hosta industry.  They price cut and then
make it up on selling candy and clothes.  I don't have any clothes or candy
to sell so I wish they would just go back to killing annuals and leave the
killing of the perennials to the professional nursery people.  <g> We were
doing fine killing off the perennials all on our own without help from these
mass merchandisers.

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com