hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
 Navigation
Articles
Gallery of Plants
Blog
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Patents
Mailing Lists
    FAQ
    Netiquette
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
Links
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

Unauthorized use of a plant doesn't invalidate it's patent

RSS story archive

Re: Walmart hostas and beyond


I'm sorry Narda, but I'm not sure what your point is.

You say that people buy from Walmart because either they need to or they want to,
which is exactly the way it's supposed to work.  I have nothing against Walmart,
I just don't shop there because they have nothing I want and I don't need their
low prices.  If they sold the type of merchandise I buy, or if I couldn't afford
to shop elsewhere, and if I didn't think their stores are creepy, I would shop
there.  My only point is that people who shop at Walmart know exactly what they
are doing and we don't need to try to protect them.

You say you buy hostas from people you can count on.  Did you need some
commission to tell you who that was or did you manage on your own?  At what point
do we discover that we need someone else to tell us who we should buy from.
Sooner or later I think we all manage to figure this stuff out by ourselves.  So
you might get took once in a while.  That's life.

Kevin, why did you bring this up again?

Chick



NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> Chick, sometimes people seek the cheapest source because it is all they can
> afford.  Sometimes it is all they want to afford.
>
> I am thinking that name brands are something that you can depend on. For
> instance if I buy a plant from Mary I know it will be a good one because she
> has done all the growing and observing to make sure that she is putting
> something out there that people will not be disappointed in.
>
> The person that I buy most of my hostas from does not sell things that he
> finds to not be hardy.  If I buy a plant from him that is not a hardy grower
> he informs me so I will know what I am getting.  I appreciate his honesty and
> his concern for my money.  Sometimes he just gives me a plant that I am
> interested in that has been a known failure.  Usually they die for me too,
> sad to say.  But I love a challenge.
>
> >>>>>As I've said before, the only way I will ever support such a program is
> if I am
> appointed Chief of the Hosta Police.  I simply don't trust anyone else to do
> it.
>
> Chick, I think you would be a good person for the job, if we should ever
> reach that point.  N.
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@mallorn.com with the
> message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@mallorn.com with the
message text UNSUBSCRIBE HOSTA-OPEN





 © 1995-2015 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index