Re: OK, what gives?

  • Subject: Re: OK, what gives?
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:41:51 -0400

Having just returned to Florida after a month in Maryland doing Hosta garden
chores, I am online again. I am amazed at the high volume of email traffic on
hosta-open.I am picking up bits and pieces of  the various threads and coments
on several subjects but have not made all connections yet. Nevertheless, it
does one's heart good to see so much sharing of hosta information and
observation. Among them was the question from Diann to Bruce Banyai, "what

I was particulary interested in this subject about Bruce's "French Cut" roots
of 'Chinese Sunrise' and other cultivars which resulted in 2-300  small
plantlets in one bed. I had heard about this technique
several years ago but had assumed that Bruce the Cook preferred to keep this
technique, if not a secret, then at least not widespread information. Now that
Bruce has apparently divulged this information rather freely, I would suggest
that he might be willing to tell us more details of this root propagation
technique if we all asked rather nicely. How about it Bruce?

I have some coments to add later, but first,  it is appropriate for Bruce to
tell us more....that is, if he is willing.

Jim Hawes