Re: Lower the beds , changed from Re: What's Looking good?

  • Subject: Re: Lower the beds , changed from Re: What's Looking good?
  • From: Ray W <wie1086@oh.verio.com>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 09:46:51 -0400

You have a very good point, one that I have rarely had to consider. My soil
drain's well as I am within a quarter mile of Lake Erie. My property has a
natural slope of a couple feet and the soil is quite sandy. Also,
amendments are added when digging is done regularly. I am not sure what the
local landscapers are doing in other areas, but here they love to raise the
soil which is sandy in most areas. Evergreens do well in this environment,
be it trees, arborvities, ect..

I put in some beds at a friends house last year. He is close to a local
marsh, which gives him clay soil. We beat about 20% hardwood mulch into his
beds. They now drain well. We did some digging there a few weeks back and
the difference was night and day between the amended and not amended soil.

Maybe I take amending the soil as something everybody does, which probably
isn't the case. I consider it more important than fertilizer. The roots
just seem to grow better when the soil stays loose.