Re: I'm by no stretch a pro

  • Subject: Re: I'm by no stretch a pro
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 12:07:21 -0500

Peggy wrote:
Should I be in a different group, one that is more for the amateur, or do you experts not mind if someone like me chimes in on occasion

RAN wrote:
Everyone here is learning.  Please stay right here, and please contribute.... we're all unique....

And I write:

If you can bare with us while we get off on tangents from time to time, there actually are many WONDERFUL tidbits about the genus Hosta that can be gleaned from the discussions here.

e.g. A few things I have learned here this past year.

1) A lot about Hosts sports - sectoral, mericlinal and periclinal chimeras.  Probably not in everyone's daily vocabulary, but if you grow Hostas long enough, sports will start to show up in various places and you may be intrigued by these unusual changes.  Much Q & A takes place on this topic.

2) Clarifications on names (including taxonomic info).  There are 2-3K of registered Hostas (about 2,700 last time I checked, but the yr. 2K registrations are NOT in that number).  Names and identification are very important, particularly to those either buying or selling Hostas.  We enjoy the presence of some of the world's leading authorities on the proper naming, identification and taxonomy of Hostas.

3) Breeding/Hybridizing - Some of the world's most renowned Hybridizers participate on this list.  Many of us have Hosta beds that are tributes to these folks and the wonderful plants that have at least come into existence, if not into the market, because of their efforts.  We're also learning how to raise our own seedlings just so we can say we've done it, to register something ourselves, or just for fun.  And, some here have already mastered the art a long time ago!    If you haven't gotten the bug, hang in there a little while and you will.

4) Pests, Predators, and Diseases.  From that thug the slug, to deer, cutworms, squirrels, nematodes, virii, crown rot and more; it's all discussed here.  Often, suggestions for curative measures are offered and so far these have been all free of charge!

5) Suggestions to optimize growth.  Many who participate here grow world class Hostas, i.e. there are no better specimens to be found anywhere than in their garden.  Even if that is not your goal, tips and tricks to optimize Hosta growth, yes, and even survival, are frequently shared here.

6) Jokes, arguments and egos, not necessarily in that order.  Because this is an open list, there will be some of this interspersed between the Hosta info.  Believe it or not, I think this is a big part of what keeps people coming back; kind of like a soap opera.  Who's saying what to whom and getting themselves in trouble this week?  (I have determined that you can count on me to be getting into trouble most every week--kind of like Dennis the Menace.  Who needs the comic strips when you have the Hosta-Open?)

7) And other stuff I haven't mentioned, like genetics, views from those who participate who are from another country (or another hemisphere!), polyploidy, Hosta shows and conventions, newsletters, new Hosta clubs, links to web resources, ad infinitum...

8) and last but not least, the presence of some very fine Hosta folks!!!   Fortunately, the one being a numskull today will be tomorrow's genius, or vice-a-versa. How exciting!

So, as you can see, Peggy, this list is quite the Hosta resource and we need all manner of folks to participate.  You may want to lurk, have just limited input, post volumes, or from time to time, you may even want to quit the list because of circumstances beyond your control.    However, I believe that if you choose NOT to be involved, some very valuable information will be missed.

On a scale of 1-10 regarding our personal Hosta knowledge, all of us started at "1" at some time in our lives... The more questions you ask, the higher your score!

Ask away!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com
1250 41st Street