Re: Your recommendations please

  • Subject: Re: Your recommendations please
  • From: Linda <falkora@smig.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 11:13:42 -0500

Title: Re: Your recommendations please
        Just out watering and saw 2 more that I think are really great hostas, not on your (P.Bracey) list.  'Alvatine Taylor' and 'Spring Lace'.
I have seen 'Alvatine Taylor' recommended as a replacement for 'Frances Williams'...I think it's beautiful, same colors as FW but not as bright, but definitely different...both are needed!
Spring Lace' makes a good edger...very fast grower, but I let some of it clump up instead of further dividing and it is also beautiful in a clump.  It starts out in the spring chartreuse with green margins, very wavy, but greens up later.
But its flowers...wonderful beautiful profuse flowers, purple striped and fragrant!  The "edging area" of Spring Lace has been beautiful (in the spring and esp. in flower, but I can hardly wait to see the clumps in flower this year!

From your list...lots of classics, I noted several that I should have and don't!
Particularly 'Paul's Glory', '
Brim Cup', and 'Birchwood Parky's Gold'.
Linda Kofstad