Re: Your recommendations please

  • Subject: Re: Your recommendations please
  • From: Josh Spece <jspece@sbtek.net>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 16:13:29 -0500

> Eleanor Holt wrote:
>
> I've noted Linda's recommendation of Alvatine Taylor as a substitute
> for Frances Williams.  Is there any other hosta which would be a good
> stand-in for Frances (and wouldn't burn or scorch or do whatever you
> call her unfortunate tendency to discolor)?
>
> Thanks--Eleanor, Northern Illinois

Hi all,

IMO, I think there are better substitutes for Frances Williams than
Alvatine Taylor.  Probably the most well known is Olive Baily Langdon
(sp?).  Supposedly, it doesn't burn...my FW is begining to "burn"
already, but OBL is looking very nice.  Maple Leaf is another look a
like and I'm sure there are many others.

Alvatine Taylor is a very beautiful plant.  An excellent grower that
forms a large mound.  Leaves start out blue and quickly develop the gold
edge.  The main reason I don't concider AT a substitute for FW is
because the leaf shape is completely different.  FW has a very round
leaf while AT has a long, very pointed leaf.  I also don't think AT
develops the heavy corrugation that a mature FW does.

Just my opinion...

Josh
IA
z4

--
  ~~~      In The Country Garden & Gifts       ~~~
      Specializing in Hostas and Water Gardens

                Josh's Garden Web
   http://inthecountrygardenandgifts.com/jspece/

         "There are always two choices.
        Two paths to take.  One is easy.