(( me head be sore? | Mon, 17 Jun 2002 08:22:24" />

Re: Guess who got hailed on "B>(( me head be sore?

  • Subject: Re: Guess who got hailed on "B>(( me head be sore?
  • From: "Karen B." <abtrlife@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 09:20:33 -0400

NardaA@aol.com wrote:

> The plants under the
> tree canopy would be fine but the others that have no shade would also have
> no hail protection.

Hi Narda,

Don't bet the bank on that. We had hail about 3 weeks ago. My few hostas that are
out in the open have next to no damage, but many of the ones under the tree
canopy are badly damaged.  :-(

I know the recommendation is to cut back the hail damaged hostas, but what if
they are not cut back. Is it bad/harmful for the plant? Also, when you do cut
them back, how close to the ground should they be cut.

Thanks,
Karen

P.S.  Van, who is only about 3-4 miles south of here (as the crow flies), was
lucky enough to have missed the hail, but he did spend a night or two watering
and watering and watering to help prevent frost damage.