Re: cutworms on hostas?

  • Subject: Re: cutworms on hostas?
  • From: Barbara Jackson <jacksonb@brandonu.ca>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 11:11:27 -0500

Good morning everyone,

Coming in a little late on this discussion but so far haven't seen any
mention of what I have used recently.  A new product called Trounce and
although a bit pricey (one jug does not do all the hosta in the yard) it
does work.  We've been hit really bad by climbing cutworms.  Its promo
material says, "This highly effective natural, organic insecticide provides
broad spectrum control of a variety of insect pests including aphids,
whitefly, caterpillars and selected beetles. Unique formulation of
naturally derived fatty acids and pyrethrum. Concentrate. "

Then, of course, yesterday I found a leaf roller happily cocooned inside a
munched leaf of H. Red October.  Will have to check to see if it works on
them, too.