Re: hosta hardiness/need your imput

  • Subject: Re: hosta hardiness/need your imput
  • From: "Township" <township@acbm.qc.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 21:44:56 -0400

Paula
I agree with you as to hostas that prefer "dry" or "moist" spots.  Way up here, I tried growing Summer Music in the richest part of my gardens.  It kept shrinking, and showing signs of rot.  I finally moved the original to a much drier area and it loves it.  I bought a couple more since, and have them in dry spots and they are doing great!  My montanas seem to accept drier locations also.
I also have tons of root competition.  I am learning to grow plants on in pots for a couple or more years before planting out directly...no way will a small baby ever go into the ground right off.
Lots of trial and error, &  success, which is so satisfying.

Smile
Barbara

mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"