Re: hosta hardiness/need your imput

  • Subject: Re: hosta hardiness/need your imput
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 08:19:41 -0700 (PDT)

>The question is always one "Are all divisions of a hostas the
>same?

Considering all the sports that occure in hosta, the answer to this
question has to be no.  All these sports we pick up are most likely
the result of transposible elements jumping around.  If they jump to
particular locations we see a major sport, such as Francee to Patriot.
However, these transposible elements can move about in such a way that
the effect we see is rather minor.  I think this is the problem when
we hear people complain about Great Expectations.  Some people just
have the wrong form of Great Expectations.

If you actually propagate hostas vegetatively rather then just grow a
clump of host in a garden you will see that some hostas will have a
range of minor variation.  I have about a half dozen different forms
of Francee and several Patriots that are slightly different, and I'm
still trying to figure out just which form of Whirlwind is the correct
one.  Francee can produce forms that are lighter in color and the
width of the edges can vary.  Some of these forms are quite stable.

What I think happens in the hosta world is that a lot of people grow
TC plants and then sell them to the public and aren't careful about
what they sell, especially if they are selling to the mass market
mechants.  Other people buy these off types, resell them and
eventually we see a deterioration in the quality of the clone.

Joe Halinar