Attention hybridizers and hosta aficianados

  • Subject: Attention hybridizers and hosta aficianados
  • From: Giboshiman@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2003 20:29:57 EDT

This year, as with last year, a member of the local has graciously offered to
accept plants via mail in early spring, pot them, and have them looking prime
for the auction. Although many a plant has been hand carried on flights,
packed in luggage, etc. to a convention in past years, this is a hassle free way
to travel without the concerns over carrying plant material.

Plants do travel extremely well both from and to convention sites! Making a
donation is one way that each participant may contribute to the continued
growth and health of the society and also the pleasure others derive from being
able to obtain a coveted prize with convention memories to carry home.

If you do not want to dig your donation until after the summer growth, you
may use a voucher.  Vouchers (available from auction workers in the plant
receiving room) may be offered as a donation. This promissory note may be for a
plant, garden related art or statuary (photo attached helps), a dollar amount
applicable to selections from your business catalog, etc. Delivery is then
arranged between the donor and the bidder at a mutually agreeable time.

If you would like to donate you can ship your plants ahead to me, Kevin
Walek, 9122 John Way, Fairfax Station, VA 22039-3042.  I will (and have been) pot
them up so they will look their best for the auction.

Often a member may hold the impression that they do not have any or enough of
the "newest of the new" to warrant making a donation. Not so! We have many
new attendees each year as well as some "old timers" that are interested in
adding to their collections. Your donation may be just the ticket that catches
their interest (it obviously caught yours if you have it)! Sometimes
mini-collections are offered. They are of great interest to many.

Additionally, we will be trying something new this year. Donations may be bid
upon prior to the auctioning of the item. A bid sheet similar to a silent
auction sheet will accompany each donation in the receiving/viewing room. Once
the item is offered at auction, either the evening silent auction or main
auction, the highest bid on the bid sheet will be the starting bid during the actual
auction. This will hopefully expedite the bidding process of the actual
auction as well as allow those people interested in an item to place a bid in the
event that they may not be present at the time bidding starts (and finishes).

Again, if you would like to donate you can ship your plants ahead to me,
Kevin Walek, 9122 John Way, Fairfax Station, VA 22039-3042.  I will (and have
been) pot them up so they will look their best for the auction.

Thank you for our consideration!