Re: Tree help...they are too slow!

  • Subject: Re: Tree help...they are too slow!
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:05:46 EDT

In a message dated 6/11/03 10:01:05 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
alttara@earthlink.net writes:

>  Well, I think most trees look nicer when underplanted. Also, I'll end
>  up with just under 2 acres for gardening, and want those dawn redwoods,
>  which get big!
>  What kind of bugs?

Two acres would be a veritable paradise compared to what most of us have!  We
have dawn redwoods all over our neighborhood and they are mostly vertical.
My neighbor next door has one that he complains about all the time which is

You know, the bugs I have no idea about, I just remember when I was a kid
that they looked like little black beetles and they would fall on you and bite.
Also, where I come from the willows were the favorite habitat of the little
greensnakes.  I love those little fellows, and wish we had them here.  Willows
are best viewed from afar.  MHO, and for making waddle fences, that would be
for Tasha and not Martha.

For we half acre people, the best choice is the good ole aristocrat pear,
fast and not much in the way of surface roots.  Also has a history for the
northern KY and SW OH people.  Magnolias are good, as are ashes,,, at least ashes
don't seem to have the problems that are prevalent in other parts of the
country.  I am talking moderate fast growth and no roots.  Nothing beats an oak tree,
but the couple that I have planted will probably see me bent over and gray
before I see enough shade from them.  Thankfully, the people who first built in
this neighborhood saw the need for quality trees and planted lots of oaks.  N.