From: gw1944@vermontel.net [mailto:gw1944@vermontel.net]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 10:57 AM
To: hosta-open@hort.net; PHOENIX_HOSTA_ROBIN@HOME.EASE.LSOFT.COM
Subject: Re: H. 'Deep Blue Sea'

Steve has a great list of blues, and I certainly agree that H. 'Deep
Blue
Sea' is a spectacular blue. For me, nothing else touches. Here in
Vermont
it is not 'a wonderful grower and early frost can stunt its growth for a
season, but when its good, it's spectacular.

Steve did leave one of his list which has a powerful impact on me.  I
think
its progenitor is from the Tardiana line, and it has some undulation
which
makes it special. The color is as good as 'Deep Blue Sea' but the leaf
shape and  corrugation are not there. I am talking about H. 'Winfield
Blue'. it is also a treasure. H. 'Salute ' is right up there too.  glen
w.

>Blue hostas I'd plant:
>
>H. 'Abiqua Drinking Gourd'
>H. 'Halcyon'
>H. 'Hadspen Blue'
>H. 'Betcher's Blue'
>H. 'Blue Angel'
>H. 'Blue Blush'
>H. 'Love Pat'
>H. 'Blue Umbrellas'
>H. 'Devon Blue'
>H. 'Salute'
>H. 'Dana Nicolette'
>H. 'Lakeside Blue Cherub'

"Can devolution be far behind?" Geraldo Rivera
Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont
05156