Re: H. 'Chisima Iwa'

  • Subject: Re: H. 'Chisima Iwa'
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:44:44 -0400

It is spelled Chishima, which is the Japanese name for the Kurile Islands. I
doubt that the Iwa (=longipes) is botanically correct, because H. longipes
is a southern species in Japan. Maybe this cultivar grows on rocks, hence
Iwa=rock. HTH George

W. George Schmid
Hosta Hill - Tucker Georgia USA
Zone 7a - 1188 feet AMSL