Re: Hosta growth or not?

  • Subject: Re: Hosta growth or not?
  • From: Ray Wiegand <wie1086@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 23:06:27 -0400

Rich,

Did you dig up the plants and check the crown. There may be some rot. If the plants
crown was subject to ice over the winter, this could have been a cause. My guess is
there are plenty of reasons it could be.

I tend to fall back on the rule --if the plant is not doing well, move it. It is
strange that after moving Pizzazz 4 times, it is finally doing what I want it to
after about 7 years. The strange part is it is 2 feet from where Bold Ruffles once
was (it dissappeared this winter). This is in  the location where all plants seem
to flourish on my property. I have 2 more plants (Zounds and tokadama) that are
doing nothing, right next to Regal Splendor and Tenryu that have grown enormous. I
moved Zounds to a much different microclimate, as it is 3" tall. I have moved many
plants for just the reason you mentioned. Hosta seem to have different needs in
cultivation as they do in the wild.

I can't answer why a plant won't send up new crowns. I can say that damage to the
crown seems to invigorate growth. 3 types of damage come to mind. Rossing--putting
knife wounds in the crown. Mutilation-stomping on top of the crown (I don't
recommend it myself). The third would be digging up the plant and banging the crown
upon something solid such as a tree. I have heard from a few "old timers" that it
has helped successfully.

some thoughts from Ohio,

Ray Wiegand