what affects hosta growth

  • Subject: what affects hosta growth
  • From: SECK138@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 11:44:00 EDT

The hostas where I am experiencing the change in growth to a reduced size of
once thriving plants are up at the church garden, where they have a water
system which turns on every day.  Hostas in my yard get neglected unless we have
not had water for more than a month. . then I water.  They are doing almost too
well. It is a smaller garden where hostas are planted closer together.  I am
always having to move plants that are overwhelming their neighbors.  I am
always dividing these hostas.  They ones that do well continue to do well and the
ones that struggle never really look like much.  At my home garden, some of my
hostas are now in full sun, because my neighbor cut down a large oak tree
which was my shade.  Don't you hate those people who think they have a right to
cut down their trees.  So I am practicing with hostas that like sun.  A lot of
plants look tired in full sun but the surprise is that warwick comet is really
thriving.  TC plants are interesting.  I went to Lakeside gardens this year
and a TC rainforest sunrise was actually doing better with stronger coloring
than another older plant that Mary had.  Speaking of Lakeside plants, Mary has
some seedlings that I drooled over.  Lets hope they come to market.  I do have
a plant that was thriving but when I divided it I had to cut down a large
root.  I divided it several times and now it is not doing well.  So when you have
divisions that pull apart divide but leave a large root ball alone?   Thanks
Chris from Braintree, MA