Re: How did Hosta June get the name "June"?

  • Subject: Re: How did Hosta June get the name "June"?
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:31:27 EDT

In a message dated 6/22/04 11:07:03 AM, gdnsplendor@comcast.net writes:

<< Greetings,
I am researching Hosta  June  and wondered if you knew how the name  June
came to be applied to Hosta  June ?

Neo Plants appears to be no longer in business so I am struggling to find
the original people who were involved in selecting and naming it.

I am wondering if it is named after someone called June (a common name in
England) or if the selection was discovered during the month of June.

If you or anyone else can shed some light on this query   it will be

David Wilson
email: gdnsplendor@comcast.net

My current pdf file on 'June' is posted in the Hosta Library in the Lemke's'
section.  I just reviewed 'The Color Encyclopedia of Hostas' which is a
British publication and it does not cite the name origin.  Please note that I am
now citing the page numbers from the above book in my pdf files.  It is listed
under 'CEH.'

Enjoy the world of hostadom,

Lemke' Master List of Hostas
        Lemke's Data Base