Can hostas compete with ivy?

I have a large bed under a mix of dogwoods and an ancient crab apple tree
that is crying out for hostas. Several native azaleas are already doing
well there, it gets dappled shade all afternoon.

Problem is that it is covered with a ground cover of a fairly aggressive
English Ivy (No, I didn't plant it, it was a legacy from a former insane
owner). If I stick to large hostas (my Blue Angel, Sum and Substance,
Frances Williams and a few others need dividing next year) will they be
able to compete successfully? I have heard that ivy is not compatible with

Gerry (whose Great Expectations are doing just fine, thank you)