Great Expectations

Dear John and others,
     Sorry to be a little late on the discussion about 'Great
Expectations'.  I purchased three of these last year at Lowe's (couldn't
believe I found them there).  My experience with another GE had not been
good, so when I saw them for $9 each I thought I would try something.  I
planted all three in different locations in the gardens.  The one
planted where it gets lost of sun  and lots of water (land is low where
this one is) is doing fantastic.  It has three divisions this year and
is blooming now.  The second one, which is half way down toward the low
land is doing pretty good, but not as well as the first.  It does not
get the amount of sun that number 1 does.  The third one looks
terrible.  It gets the same amount of sun as does #1, but the soil has
more clay and it does not get the water.  I'll move this one today.
     My conclusion from this would be that GE needs plenty of water,
good soil and can take sun.  Well, I guess that is true of most of our
favorite plants.  I will keep working with it as this is truely a
beautiful hosta.

Jane Spencer
Portland, IN
Zone 5