>In a message dated 6/18/1998 3:08:46 PM Central Daylight Time, briard-
>hosta@kos.net writes:
> So I am still looking for a name for these oldtime clumps of my
> Grandad's.  >>

On the old AHS robin, we had a discussion about an "old" hosta found around
several homesteads where it had been in place for 50 or more years.  The
hosta resembles the photo of H. cathayana in Schmid, but is not a species,
as determined by Dr. Ben Zonneveld.  We never discovered the name of the
plant, or whether it even had a name, in the trade or registered.  I
believe Glen Williams, for one, has the plant (Glen, are you with us?) and
I have it, as well as Bobbi Diehl and John Lanier.  Could you describe your
plant in detail (venation, bloom time, mound dimensions, etc.)?  I am
wondering if it is the same old-time hybrid the rest of us have.

Sheila Smith
Niles, MI  USA, Z 5/6