I have changed the Subject line from AUGUST LILY to OLD HOMESTEAD
because someone might start to think we are referring to the
August Lily.

The "no-name" OLD HOMESTEAD hosta specs are:

-green (with no blue cast)
-shiny on leaf bottom
-dull on leaf top
-veins: 7-9 pairs
-flower stem length with OPEN FLOWER = about 36"
-flower stem length with closed buds = 30-36"
-flower = very light lavendar purple with white center & purple streaks
 down the inside of the flower.
-flower has 6 petioles (is that the correct word)
-stamens are dark on the end not yellow
-clump root size at soil level = 12" diameter tightly packed eyes
-above clump spread size = 36"
-above clump height size = 20" to leafs
-leaf size = 7"long  x  4.125 " wide
-leaves are NOT leathery or tough

Now, the clumps in my Grandad's garden, are much bigger. I took
3 clumps of the side last year, each 12" or so diameter. I barely
dented this clump. I only attacked his biggest clump.

So I will also give you the clump size of 2 of his his clumps.
One of his clumps is 6' wide x 5' deep. It is 24" tall.
Another clump is 3' wide x 2' deep. It is somewhat shorter.
There are more clumps, but this should be a good sampling.

I need to go back and measure the leaf of the clumps at Grandads. Also
I need to compare the colouring to mine. Mine may be getting somewhat more
sun, so Grandads may be darker green. I will report on this soon.

As the plant grows and the stems get tightly spaced, the clump seems to
become taller, as the leaves don't droop over, but hold each other up.

Perhaps if there is no real registered name for this hosta, and if
several people have it and it is proven to be the same (we would all
have to mail clumps to one of you experts), it should be named.
Perhaps it should be called OLD HOMESTEAD, as that is sort of what it is.

peri, SouthEastern Ontario, CANADA, mailto:briard-hosta@kos.net