Re: Ground covers?

I. T. Johnson wrote:
> Patty Woodbury wrote:
> >
> > Hi, -
> >
> > Have just finished planting this year's selection of hostas and was
> > wondering if any of you have suggestions for ground covers?
> >
> > I have sweet woodruff, lamium and Bishop's weed.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > -Patty
> > MA, USA
> >
> Clyde suggests Lysimachia nummularia aurea (Golden Moneywort); Joanne
> and I planted some because she liked its look, but it seemed invasive so
> we grubbed it out.  If you have barriers (concrete, railroad ties,
> asphalt), try it.
> European Ginger is beautiful.  Shiny leaves!  Start some now, because
> it's a bit slow.
> Sweet Woodruff looks very nice.
> Three more suggestions: Ajuga (seems to spread rapidly); ferns (we have
> several patches of Ostrich Fern that are at least five feet high  --
> well, that's a sort of ground cover!); and hostas,  That's right, hostas
> are a ground cover.  Try a large patch of the same cultivar: a swatch of
> Frances Williams in deep shade, a hedge of Golden Tiara, a oval patch of
> Hosta clausa.  Try not to get carried away like I was: 1600 lancifolias
> on a hillside!          Irwin Johnson

Speaking of hostas as a ground cover - some of the best I've seen used
as ground cover are venusta, and Dew Drop. Since neither get very big,
they look great with larger hostas. And the "uninitiated" are often
quite surprised they are hostas, and that hostas can be as small as
  As for lysimachia, it's a GROUND cover. Of course it's bound to be
invasive, at least a little. I find that ajuga is invasive. I got some,
unwanted, in a cubic yard of topsoil. I'm still mowing it in my lawn,
and it's still taking over.