Re: Toads, Praying Mantis & GUESS WHAT

peri wrote:

> Hi Everybody,
>
> When I moved to this house 6 years ago, the gardens were non-existant.
> There was zero wild life, except for frogs & mice & star-nosed moles.
> I have gradually added more and more gardens and trees and vines.
> There is very little annuals, as most everything is perennials.
>
> I have now, tons and tons of toads, a few praying mantis,
> and today, well I am so excited.....I found a TREE FROG hanging
> off the cement coping edge of the pool early this morning. I saw it
> again around noon time. I must assume that my backyard environment is
> attracting these creatures?
>
> Now I have just looked outside my kitchen window to check the
> outside thermometer, and THE TREE FROG IS CLINGING TO MY THERMOMETER.
>
> I have never seen one of these creatures before. But for about 1.5
> weeks, there has been this singing noise at night....for hours. Well I
> thought it was a bird.  I remember this noise last year also, but never
> did found out what it was. When I saw this creature this morning, I thought
> it was a mutated toad + frog. Then when I saw it move, I realized......
> it was clinging. It could hang upside down.
>
> I will not mind the noise outside at night now that I know what it is.
> My toads and my new TREE FROG are busy eating all my bugs......HOPEFULLY
> they like slugs?
>
> Has anyone else been so lucky with toads, praying mantis, and TREE FROGS?
> Is it the hostas or vines that could be attracting them? Does anyone else
> in Ontario have Tree Frogs?  Do they require any special hiding places
> or water to drink?

That is just wonderful! Frogs love slugs. I wish I had tree frogs. I
have all sorts of different ones, though, so I can live without. (in
Ohio). If the tree frogs are there, and other creatures, then you're
heading in the right direction.
  Stick to organics, and you'll never go wrong. Enjoy your mantids, and
froggies!!

Diane