Re: Hostas in the woods

In a message dated 6/20/1998 11:48:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
RonnieEA@aol.com writes:

<<  I am planning to extend my hostas
 into the wooded area of my yard, and they would receive some "dappled"
 sunlight in the mornings, (very limited) and only diffused light in the
 afternoon.,

 About 8 years ago I planted a number of Hosta Plantagenia in an area that is
 similiar to this, and they have not done so well.  >>
 Hi Ronnie:
H. plantaginea needs more light than you indicate to grow to its potential and
to produce those mavelous white flowers.
To compensate, try this: Plant them in a very "rich" soil mixture and
fertilize heavily with a foliar that contains a high percentage of nitrogen,
potassium and phosphorus.

Clyde Crockett z5