Re: Mini Popularity Poll

hello, all  --  I just got back from a very nice convention  --  I saw
your "mini-poll" and am of course interested, as I am about any poll
--   (Blue) H. 'Joanne;' (gold) H 'Sun Power;' (green) H. montana
'Macrophylla;' (medio-variegated) H. 'Undulata Univittata' or H.
'Reversed;' (marginal-variegated) H. 'Patriot;' (year's most interesting
plant) H. 'Don Stevens Streaked'

Another memorable convention: As always, the best part was the people!
Cut-leaf show: many, many wonderful leaves; the small unregistered
seedlings included lots and lots of the most distinctive I've ever seen;
tour gardens were beautiful, but seven on a 99 degree day with high
humidity is three more than this old codger can take; food was
wonderful, in the hotel and elsewhere; the homemade gingersnaps at the
home on the river were a best-of-life experience!; the tributes to Bob
Olson were touching, and richly deserved; the auction goes on too long
(4.25 hours), despite the outstanding success ($23K), due to the
excellence of the plants donated, the enthusiasm of the buying
convention attendees, and the hard and expert work of our many
auctioneers and their support staff (often under-appreciated, but vital
to our success!); the auction (which I love, in spite of my lack of
fiscal control) must be shortened, in my humble opinion; my only
suggestion is to add plants to the Thursday and Friday night silent
auctions to bring the total each night up to 50-60, including a few nice
plants in the $150-175 range; this could reduce the total number of
plants at the Saturday auction by 100, or perhaps an hour; this problem
arises because of the generosity of plant donors, and should be
approached with intelligence and sensitivity; ideas, anyone?  Share them
with us, please, or with me, or with Bruce Banyai directly.
				Irwin Johnson