 I dont have 60 but about 300 hostas, 100 of which are species and
their varieties many from the wild Last year I did make 2500 crosses
by hand half of them did set seed . You still think I dont have
experience? If you are interested in some background to my rule of
thumb you could read some of my earlier articles as these were
destined for that puprpose The last article is just on identity not
about explaining sports.

You are right about allium, the seed coat is indeed attached to the
cotyledon and it is exactly the same in hosta, easily visible if you
dont cover the seeds
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden