From: <CCREDUX@aol.com>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>; <AHSE-MAILROBIN@home.ease.lsoft.com>
Sent: Monday, June 07, 1999 9:08 PM
Subject: Stories Behind the Names of Hostas

Many would naturally think that Abiqua Drinking Gourd was named such
of the cupped leaves. Chuck Purtymun gave me this account. He was in his
garden after a rain. His hounddog was with him and he noticed that his
was drinking from one of the leaves where rain water had collected.

Neat and Tidy. Lucy Simpers gave me this account. She had planted a
number of
seeds from Golden Circles and wrote to one of the mavens, "The seedlings
neat and tidy." In many catalogs one finds that it was named such
because it
is NOT neat and tidy.Not so.

Do you all have some similar accounts to share? I am sure the archvist
of the
AHS should like to have them.