Re: Stories Behind the Names & Cut-Leaf Show

In a message dated 6/9/1999 10:42:36 AM Central Daylight Time,
itjohnsn@execpc.com writes:

<< How about bringing a couple of leaves to Ann Arbor and
 entering them in the cut-leaf show?
Above is in reference to Glenn' posting re H. 'Death and Taxes'.
To enter the cut-leaf show, one does not have to be a member of the AHS; but,
she/he has to enter it herself/himself. BUT, one can exhibit a leaf without
being there. Usually there is table for such exhibits. CH III, will there be
such a table for the AA convention?  I hope so as one finds some nifty
leaves. (Wait! I just remembered that I am the Chair for Registrations, so
I'll make sure there is a table for such.)

So, if you ain't gonna go to the convention and have a leaves of one or more
of your hybrids or mutations that you'd like to exhibit, you might give it to
a friend to transport to AA.

Speaking of cut-leaf shows, I was late getting to D.C. for that convention
and had taken with me some outstanding leaves on the 'plane. When I finally
got a cab, I had only one hour before the deadline to enter the leaves.So, I
told the driver if he could get me to the convention hotel in under 15
minutes I would give him a very nice tip.

Off we went, the driver going about 80 mph----with all the windows rolled
I asked him to roll them up but he said he did not know how! I told him to
slow down but he pretended not to hear me. Well, the leaves were shredded!!!!

Moral: Put you leaves in a suitcase---line them with waxed paper.

Hardest leaves to clean for me are the blue seersuckered types. Put in
bathtub with cold water.

For drooping leaves, put the stalks in a container with HOT water.
Unless you are the likes of Dick Ward or Mary Chastain, you will, if this is
the first time for you to enter, nearly drop dead when you enter the prep
area. You will see unbelieveably beautiful leaves and think there is no way
for you to win one of the big awards.Remember this: Bill Burto won best in
show for his entry of a single leaf of
what was then named H. kikutii pruinosa----a very simple, plain-green leaf.
 Don't be intimidated.

The most time-consuming task is to put your name and address on each label.
Take along some of those stickers with that info on it.