Getting to Ann Arbor

Looking for a little information--we're heading for Ann Arbor from Seattle
Friday afternoon and will be driving the Northern route as we're traveling
with load of plants and we're hoping to stay out of the heat.  Question
is --can anyone tell us about the ferry from Manitowoc, Wi to Ludington,
Mi--how often does it run?  do you need reservations?  cost?  is this a
practical thing to do?   ...or is it just better to drive down around
Chicago.  We will need to be in Ann Arbor Monday nite as there's a grower's
tour on Tues so scheduling is a pretty important factor.

Any info would be much appreciated.
Gary & Jack
Naylor Creek Nursery