Changes in leaf morphology

Two puzzles:

1) "Wide Brim" with three eyes, purchased spring last year, overwintered in
its pot and planted out this spring. Last year it resembled pictures I've
seen of WB. This year, medium green leaves, but with a very thin,
undistinguished yellow margin. What gives?

2) "Yellow Splash Rim" purchased from nursery this year, planted out in
area that gets ~ 2 h direct afternoon sun. Summer growth looks like a
totally different plant: Fat, rounded leaves, thin texture, light green
with cream edge.  New shoots a couple of inches away (I understand this one
is somewhat rhizomatous) look like the summer leaves. What gives?

Gerry